The hot and humid days of Texas have taken a sabbatical. This last week we have experienced 4 days in a row of below freezing temperatures. The Arctic air decided to visit us on Monday night and did not leave us until Saturday morning! I am not used to having one day below 32 degrees, but 4 days straight! I didn't have enough clothes for that!
It all started on Tuesday morning when we experienced some sleet and freezing rain. and China Spring was one of only 4 school districts in the area that did not cancel school. While most of us were mad Tuesday morning, by that afternoon we saw that it proved to be the best choice; no ice on the roads, but boy was it cold!
The week progressed as normal with a highs of 25 degrees accompanied with an Arctic wind that kept the wind chill factor in the single digits. I woke up one morning to the weather channel saying it feels like -1 degree outside. I like the number 1, but I soon learned that I don't care for that number as much when it involves the air temperature!
Thursday night while we were at small group we finally got some snow. This would be the first time that I actually had to drive in the stuff! The roads were already white, and slick! I proved to do well until the last turn before my apartment where a slight decline in the road combined with the road conditions left me where I couldn't brake. Thank you Lord that nothing happened and I made the turn just fine without hitting anyone, or anything!
Friday morning they cancelled school and I was able to sleep in, clear off my DVR, watch movies, even clean the house a little. I had some friends brave the roads and they joined me for pizza and a couple of episodes of our favorite TV show, Big Bang Theory. We even built a fire in my fireplace. (First fire in four years and I can prove it with the dead bird that fell out when we opened the flue!) It turned out to be a GREAT day off, and a much needed rest!
The best part... That was only Friday! I had 2 more days of my weekend left. Practice was cancelled on Saturday which left me another day to sleep in and stay off the roads. Now, Texas did show back up Saturday morning and it was almost 60 degrees which unfortunately melted off all the snow, thus taking away the gorgeous view! I was thankful that I didn't have to drive anywhere... my road experience Thursday night was enough to scare me for a while!
The first time I drove my car again was to go to our dodge ball tournament Saturday evening. I just returned from there... We lost... It stinks... Big time. I hate to lose! Oh well... second place isn't that bad, right?! Who am I trying to kid? It sucks. (I apologize. It's clear that I haven't had enough time to fully mourn and comprehend what happened tonight. I'll be good soon!)
Overall, it was a fabulous weekend! (And we still have Sunday left! Superbowl Sunday!) As a softball player, I grew up hearing that the rain was God's way of telling us we needed a day off of the field. I now believe that the snow is God's way of telling us we all need a day off! I am very thankful that it was only 2 inches, and that it doesn't happen all the time! I will try to stick to environments like California and Texas, and places with forecasts that say 'Mostly Sunny' most days of the year!
No comments:
Post a Comment