It was hard to wake up this morning. I don't really think it was from jet lag, as much as it was just lack of sleep and probably from playing and participating in camp yesterday. Breakfast was good once again, but I think a waffle or pancakes beats anything they have here. I ventured to try the bacon this morning. It was not fully cooked and they serve it cold. Not my cup of tea in any aspect, but I am glad I tried it. I brought 2 packets of Nutella back to my room with me. This stuff is amazing! Is it as good as this in the states and I have just been too chicken/lazy to try it?
The baseball coaches were lazy this morning, they must have been tired too, so we decided to drive in cars to the field. It's really too bad because I was looking forward to the wonderful bike ride again. Either way, it was a nice relaxing 2 minute drive to the field.
Tony asked me if I would help lead stretches, which in turned into me leading stretches on my own. Luckily he did most of the active warm-up/dynamic warm-up I do the day before, so I just copied him and added a few more things. Warming up 50 Germans (guys and girls) ages 20 and over, is a lot different than my 13 teenagers at China Spring. Some of them complained that their arms were hurting, so I asked a few of them to come do some more arm stretches that they would typically do. I asked them to "teach me". They got a kick out of it, but actually taught me a lot! It is amazing the time and the exercises they actually put into stretching their arms. Movements we would normally do with weights, they do with body weight and it really warms the shoulder joint and back muscles up.
We had a long day of practice. In the morning we warmed our arms and did a relay drill. We spent most of the morning time going over situations and really talking about back-ups and bunt coverages. They play at a lower level so I am sure I confused the heck out of all of them, but they asked many questions and seemed to really be learning.
That is one thing that amazes me about the Germans. They haven't been playing long and most of them play just out of love for the game. They might play when they are younger, but there is no little league. There is no organized travel teams. There isn't really sports in college. When they are studying in college or are done with school they play of club teams or in certain divisions. They practice 1 or 2 days a week and play on the weekends. It's been amazing to hear how things are run in their country. They are most surprised, that I don't play any more. I told them once I am out of college there really isn't an opportunity for me to play, which they have often told me "is too bad", and I agree.
Needless to say, their desire to play the game shows in practice. They know the game, but where many of them are in their 30's, 40's, and even some in their 50's they play at such a lower level. My high school team could probably beat them. In fact, we were beaten 16-2 by an all girls German team which my high school team might have beaten. Either way, they are excited to play any game they can and it's amazing what I still need to teach them.
We spent most of the afternoon today going over bat angles to hit outside pitches and inside pitches. I can promise you this is the first time they had ever heard that. It was like they were drug addicts and I was selling cocaine! They love it everything I am teaching them. Many of them asked me at lunch if I would move to Germany and coach their team.
Speaking of lunch... Luigi, our hotel manager, drove over to the field to bring us salame and formaggio paninis. (Salami and cheese on a baguette) I thought they were delicious. The veterans here affectionately refer to them as bricks, but I think they secretly enjoy them too. We had some good discussions over lunch. Some of the girls that I am coaching were trying to talk me into moving to Germany, coach their team, and they would in turn find me a German husband. When asking what I like in a husband, I told them a few things, but that he must be Christian. One of the guys behind me, without hesitation said, "My name is Christian. Does that count?" I was left speechless and everybody laughed, including myself. That was pretty good.
After lunch we did an intersquad scrimmage. Since there are 23 softball campers it made for a pretty good game. Brian and I played just out of fun. In the last inning, I was playing short stop and a slow back was hit me to me. Let me first explain that the fields are not great here. Very uneven ground, all dirt infield, just not great quality. So I charge hard going for this ball, i go to scoop it to throw on the run, but I miss it. Still going full speed I try to pick it up again and I stumble over the undulated ground and trip on the mound (yes, a mound, it's a little league baseball field) and slide head first across the back of the dirt. I am pretty sure everyone was laughing again. Including myself.
Dinner tonight was salad, pasta (spaghetti and pesce--fish), and then our choice of roast beef or fish with mashed potatoes. I chose the fish, which was alright, and followed it with some custard. Over dinner, we had a really good conversation with 2 of the girls we invited to come eat at our table. They asked some good questions about God and Jesus. We shared the gospel and our love for Jesus to them, and they are certainly thinking a lot about what it all means. Please pray for them, Martha and Kathi. (Pronounced without the h's Mart-a, and Cat-ee)
This is unlike any camp that I have ever been to. The culture differences, language barriers, age gaps, etc. So many things are different even down to the way we share the gospel. At FCA camp we have huddle groups and prayer with everyone. At Baylor's camp we have nightly bible studies and even a sharing of God's word in the morning. Here, it's all about relationships. I am learning so much about the German culture and how they think about God.
The reason why UPI keeps coming back here afte 13 years is because they people keep coming back because they experience something different that in their home country. They don't keep count of the people that are "saved", but they keep investing time into cultivating the minds and hearts of these people. So many times, we as Christians, are quick to share the gospel and want to do the "harvesting" but don't put the time into actually talking, discussing one-on-one, and showing the love of Christ over a period of time. It was neat to experience this difference tonight.
I have taken the time over the last few weeks to memorize a verse everyday with 2 of my friends, Daniel and Carolyn Lehmkuhl. One of the verses, I used tonight as I spoke with these girls. 1 Corinthians 4:4 says, The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so they can not see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. Listening to some of these Germans talk about Jesus and God, brings this verse to the forefront. What a work Satan is doing in the lives of so many in this time, but what a greater work has God already done and continues to do not only in this world but for eternity. Please continue to pray. There is still a lot of camp to do and so much is active and God is at work!
No comments:
Post a Comment