My last day. Today will be my last full day in Italy. I will fly out tomorrow morning. I can't believe it has come to the end already. This week really did fly by. We've got a lot on the schedule for today so I woke up, took a shower, and went for a walk. It started as a search for an ATM, but it was such a beautiful morning I decided to walk along the beach just for some quiet time with me and the Lord. It was so peaceful.
I found an ATM and for the first time the entire week I handled my first Euro. I have been spoiled here with all my meals paid for and gelato twice a day. Thank you UPI! I hope to take some wine back with me so I want to have some Euros ahead of time.
Because of scheduling conflicts, and I am sure other reasons as well, we were at a different field today. It took about 30 minutes to drive to the field. We jumped on the Autostrata (the highway) and blazed through many round-abouts (they are everywhere!) and just to the point I started feeling the Nutella begin to unsettle we were there.
This field was so neat! The actual field itself wasn't in great shape, but it's location and surrounding view was gorgeous! It actually sat down and was surrounded by hills and bunkers. Tall trees lined the outfield fence all around except in right field. Right field was left open to this miraculous view of the Italian countryside. A beautiful, green hill with small, Italian houses atop it. At one point during practice today, I was sitting on a bucket giving instructions to a person hitting off a tee really thinking nothing of the situation, for it's something that I do daily. I turn my head for an instant and I can't help but marvel at the view that was provided through the gap in right field. It was such a surreal feeling to be taking part in an activity so normal but in an environment that is anything but normal for me. Amazing!
We had a lot of fun today. During warm-ups everyone was complaining about how hot it was. I think the fact that the field was surrounded by hills and was closed off from the breeze had something to do with it, but I thought the weather was incredible. In fact, we had perfect weather all week. I told them that I was going back to Texas where it would probably be 90 degrees. They gasped at first, until I realized that this beautiful 68 degree day was actually 22 degrees Celsius for them. Oops.
We started the day with base running. I had them run a base circuit so they could understand when to run through certain bases and how to properly turn as they run. I then had them do a base running drill. They were very tired so I told them 5 minute water break, in German. They were impressed! They even complimented me on my proper accent. They made sure to teach me a few more things before the day was over. I can properly say, "five minute water break", "heads up" or "pay attention", "new hitter", "great hitter", "one more", and can successfully count to 20 in German. Baby steps.
They took their water break and it surprised me how many of them drink carbonated water. All over Europe. When you go to a restaurant in Italy and ask for a water, they'll ask you, "With gas or without?" OR "naturale or frizzante?" Only Naturale for me, I think water with gas or carbonated water was disgusting. It was probably the only thing I ate or drank in Italy that I did not care for.
While we were at this field, I noticed a soccer ball that was left. We had fun kicking it around and then some of them told me they played kickball here last year. I decided we needed to have another game of kickball this year. Brian and I explained the rules, and there were some that had never played kickball. Many of the new girls were offended that you throw the ball at someone to get them out! As the game progressed, they became more accustomed to it and would laugh and start throwing the ball and anyone not touching the base. It was a lot of fun!
After a long week of softball, I was exhausted, but I have to admit I hated to see it end. I couldn't believe that this was the last day, and that I wouldn't be going to the field with all of my new friends again tomorrow. We drove back in our cars passing more inspiring country sides and zooming through endless round-abouts until we reached Hotel Byron, our destination.
Here is where the fun begins. (And the reason that I am posting this 3 days later.) We got home at 4:45. I quickly showered because we had Bible study at 5:30. After my shower I sat and had a great conversation with a girl who is Christian Scientist. I have never spoken to anyone who was a Christian Scientist and she literally blew my mind with some of these concepts. The 2 of us went to listen to Brian speak in Bible study and we all ended up discussing some of the basics of our faith. She was very adamant that her beliefs were right, and in a way I admire her for standing up to 5 of us throwing questions at her. I am confident in my faith and in my beliefs but sometimes I wonder if I would have the guts to stand up to 5 people of a different faith/religion and fight that hard for what I believe in. Let's just say that I am definitely praying for this girl.
Immediately following our discussion, we went in late to dinner. I get my plate of appetizers and just when I am about to sit down some of the girls come grab me and want me to participate in a birthday parade for one of the fastpitch guys who was turning 40 today. Being a good sport, I put down my plate and follow Nuncia, our hotel director, and five other girls to a storage room below the hotel. I dress up as a rabbit, Nuncia is Tweety, Betty is Sylvester, Sabine is the Pink Panter, Barbara is a Brazillian dancer, and Kathi is a clown. We made our appearance to music as we conga-danced around the room, and then ended with the chefs bringing out a giant sheet cake with sparkling flames for candles. Yes, there is video of this. (Brian sent it to me today.)
I scarfed down dinner really fast. (The best part of dinner tonight was that cake. Just plain delicious!) We all were headed to a professional Italian baseball game, the Rimini Pirates were playing and we were going as a group to experience it. When we got to the field, the scoreboard was off. I thought it wasn't working. I was told it wasn't turned on because there wasn't enought people of validate running it. Sure enough, about 30 minutes later, another large group of 30 people show up and the scoreboard pops on in the middle of the 4th inning.
It really made me recognize how we as Americans can be so wasteful sometimes. I had this discussion with the Germans over lunch today. They told me that at McDonald's in Europe, you have to pay for any ketchup you want, not to mention any other sauces. And I noticed while being in Italy and driving around all week, there are a lot of small ristorantes but no fast food places. Even the small things were put in perspective for me.
Tony, Brian, and I left the baseball game early. I was able to head back to the hotel and get some wine from Nuncia. I brought it upstairs to try and pack before everybody else got back from the game. Everyone finally made it back around 11:00.
We had our end-of-camp meeting where we handed out certificates. It was my job, as the rookie coach, to read off all of the German names on the certificate. I was feeling pretty good as I could say 3 complete phrases in German and I was complimented on my accent earlier. I said about 10 names and then I read a name and everyone started laughing. I looked around and had Alex come help me with the pronunciation. I said it again. They laughed some more and the guys raised their hand. A nice guy next to me informed me that I just said, "I need a man" in German. That explains why all the guys raised their hand in the audience. I have to admit, that was a pretty good prank!
I continued reading, and I caught another one that didn't look like a name, so I glanced over it really fast and continued on to the next name. About another 8 or 10 names later, I confidently read a name and sure enough laughter ensues again. I was informed that I am asking for Babe Ruth to come get his certificate. There were some former baseball players at this camp, I just don't think he was one of them. Pranked again. I finished up nicely, and I was smart enough to skip over Frank Sinatra. And that was it. Camp was over.
It was about 11:30 now and we all hung around and said our good-byes, exchanged email addresses, took some last minute photos with so many new friends that we made. The Krasshoppers, the fastpitch softball team I worked with all week, presented the coaches with a Krasshoppers mug and some German beer. It was not only to thank us, but to celebrate that this was their 10th year to come to the Easterball camp. Amazing. When asked why they return to this camp every year, the most common reply was, "Because we like you guys." It really shows the relationships that are being formed and cultivated year after year. I am so thankful to be one who has been changed by these relationships, even after just one year.
I finally went up to my room about 12:45. I finised packing, got to Skype with my mom and let her know the travel plans for tomorrow, and went to bed about 1:30. I set my alarm for one hour later. I woke up at 2:30 to leave the hotel by 3:00 to make it to the airport for our early 6:00 and 6:30 flights.
And this is where I leave you for tonight. Tomorrow I will tell you about my long journey home...
No comments:
Post a Comment